Basset Hound Adoption Questions
You've decided on Basset Hound adoption... It's an exciting time! But, don't forget to ask lots of questions.
Are you planning to adopt a Basset Hound from a rescue or shelter?
If so, it's important to find out as much as you can about the specific dog that you are considering before bringing him or her home.
During the excitement (or stress) of the adoption process, you may forget to ask some relevant questions. Here is a useful list of Basset Hound adoption questions to consider asking.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
General Basset Hound Adoption Questions
- How has the dog's health and behavior been evaluated?
- Why is he available for adoption? Stray, relinquished by owner, rescued from a puppy mill?
- How long has this Basset Hound been available for adoption?
- Has he ever been returned by an adopter? If so, why?
- Do you know anything about his history or previous home life?
- Has he been mistreated in any way?
- What kind of post adoption support do you provide (information, advice, answering of questions, etc.)?
Health Related Questions
- Does this Basset Hound have any known or suspected health problems / illnesses?
- Has the dog been neutered / spayed?
- Has he been checked for heartworms and intestinal parasites (worms)?
- What other diseases or potential problems has he been tested for?
- Are his vaccinations up-to-date?
- How old is this Basset Hound or what is his approximate age?
Behavior Related Questions
- Can you describe his temperament?
- How is he with other pets? Cats, dogs, etc.
- Does he have any behavioral issues?
- Is this Basset Hound house trained?
- What commands does he know?
- Does he have any food related issues? Begging, guarding, etc.?
- Does he walk well on a leash?
Why So Many Basset Hound Adoption Questions?
Your goal during this process should be to adopt a Basset Hound that is compatible with you and your family.
Are you too busy to house train a dog? Then, of course, you should adopt a Basset Hound that has already been trained. Do you have other pets, say a cat? If so, it's a good idea to find out ahead of time how the dog behaves around other pets.
It is also important to understand and be comfortable with the extent to which a dog has been evaluated.
Most reputable rescue organizations do an in-depth evaluation of health and temperament and make every effort to match a dog to a suitable home. While some shelters will do the same, others do not have the resources and therefore will only perform a minimal evaluation.
By asking detailed questions, you will gain a better understanding of the evaluation process and the Basset Hound that you are considering for adoption. Therefore, you will be more likely to make an informed decision that is right for you and your family.
- Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.
- Ask about the dog's evaluation process. Was it in-depth? Minimal? None at all?
- Ask yourself... Am I comfortable with the extent to which the organization evaluated the dog.
- Make sure that the Basset Hound that you are considering is compatible with you, your family, and your lifestyle.
home » Adoption and Rescue » Basset Hound Adoption Questions: Top